SCUBA DIVING IN BORNEO
DERAWAN DIVE RESORT
Derawan off the coast of Kalimantan is a 33 ha island , and is the site of the Derawan Dive Resort because of the supply of fresh water which is not available on Sangalaki and Kakaban. The resort is constructed of rich native woods and harmonises with the surrounding tropical vegetation. The resort accommodates 40 guests, and each of the double cottages are Indonesian style with high peaked roofs, and porches to enjoy the breeze. Each also has a ceiling fan which is more than adequate, together with private toilet facilities, although the showers are "cold".
Access to the resort is via Balikpapan in East Kalimantan. You would have to fly to
the East Kalimantan gateway airport of Balikpapan, and probably stay there
overnight. The following morning will begin with a 90 minute flight over jagged, jungle
covered mountains to Tanjung Redeb in Berau province, a logging town only accessible by air or water. Here,
you will board a speed boat for the two hour trip to the island. The trip begins with an
unforgettable journey down the meandering jungle lined Berau River.
Fourteen Deluxe rooms are equipped with airconditioning and hot water and nine VIP rooms are
equipped with airconditioning, hot water and a shared lounge room with TV, Stereo sound system,
Kitchen and a fridge/freezer.
The resort has around the clock 240 volt electricity (round horizontal pins), a nice bar and restaurant area, phone and fax, and small convenience shop, Dive shop and rental equipments, 150 K-valve tanks, and 7 boats to allow divers to enjoy the marvellous underwater world in the vicinity of Derawan Island.
The price includes:
- 1. Boat transfer Berau- Derawan - Berau (price based on min five people in group);
- 2. Accommodation (twin share basis); meals and drink; except beer & soft drink;
- 3. Diving, tanks, weights and guide.
- Three boat dives per day and unlimited self shore dives, including night dives at Jetty point (Finish by 19.00 hrs);
- Outside island trip for Sangalaki/Kakaban/Maratua 2 dives per day, then return to Derawan island for another boat dive. All trips will be arranged by the dive staff based on the tide tables and season.
- 4. The price excludes diving/snorkelling gear, and airfares to Berau. Diving and snorkelling gear can be rented from the resort (contact us for prices)
The resort has three categories of accommodation - Deluxe, VIP and Suites.
Prices based on Deluxe Accommodation - min 5 people in group - additional charges apply for groups of less than five. Contact us for details.
|Duration||Diver/Non Diver||1 Person||2 People||3 People|
|6 days/ 5 nights||Diver - includes 2 outside island trips||$1,980||$1,598||$1,440|
|7 days/ 6 nights||Diver - includes 3 outside island trips||$2,282||$1,854||$1,697|
|8 days/ 7 nights||Diver - includes 3 outside island trips||$2,507||$2,030||$1,877|
|9 days/ 8 nights||Diver - includes 3 outside island trips||$2,741||$2,219||$2,061|
|10 days/ 9 nights||Diver - includes 3 outside island trips||$2,970||$2,403||$2,250|
|Rates for VIP and Suites available on request|
Photographs courtesy of Derawan Dive Resort